The Interviewing Program (IP) at Rutgers University-New Brunswick allows you to recruit high caliber students from a variety of disciplines. Interviews for full-time hires, interns, and co-ops take place for 10 weeks in the fall and 10 weeks in the spring.
Utilizing Rutgers Handshake, our program is a pre-select system, so you only choose those candidates whom you want to interview. The process typically takes four weeks to complete from the initiation of your position posting to the interview day. We can accommodate those employers who are trying to fill an opening quickly by modifying our standard timeframe and offering customized solutions to your recruiting needs.
To get started, simply go to Rutgers Handshake to request a recruiting date. Then follow the step-by-step process discussed below.
Interviewing Program 101:
- Scheduling an Interview Date
- Interview Schedule Options
- Job Descriptions
- Citizenship Requirements
- Increasing Visibility of Your Interview Date
- The Interview Day
- Testing Options
- Offer Acceptance/Extension Guidelines
You will need approximately four weeks to complete this process. All steps between the initial request and the interviews are handled electronically.
- Go to Rutgers Handshake to arrange an interviewing date. All recruiting dates must be scheduled through the Rutgers Handshake system.
- University Career Services sends an email confirmation of your recruiting date.
- Complete the job description. Your job description must be attached to your interview date so those students can view it and submit their resumes.
- Students submit their resumes prior to the resume submission deadline.
- Review students' resumes, which are available to you online.
- Select the students whom you would like to interview along with alternates.
- Selected students sign up for their interviews one-week prior to your interviewing date.
- Interview students.
Interviews are typically conducted in half-hour sessions, starting at 9:00 a.m., which allows our employers to interview a maximum of 12 students. Other options, including 45 and 60 minute interview times and varied start and end times, are available and can be arranged as needed.
Pre-selected interview dates cannot be honored unless all job descriptions are received and candidates are selected by the stated deadlines. If you miss these deadlines, you may need to change your recruiting date.
Students are made aware of your organization, positions, and interview date through your job descriptions. It is critical that descriptions are informative but succinct. Students want to know what they will be doing, what technology will be available, and what skills are required for each position.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), interviews will be made available to interested students authorized to work full-time in the United States regardless of their citizenship status, unless U.S. citizenship is legally required. If citizenship is legally required for your company, please indicate this under job requirements on your Handshake job description.
- Reserve a room for an Employer Networking & Information Session
- Participate in a Career & Internship Fair
- Utilize campus resources to advertise your interviews
- Using the virtual format of your choice, please ensure all candidates receive necessary links or log in credential prior to the interview day
- Meeting Students & Staying on Schedule: Interviews typically begin at 9:00 AM. Please make every effort to stay on schedule. Keep in mind that students have classes and work commitments and may not be able to stay beyond the interview time period. Interviews customarily end by 4:00 PM.
- Resumes: Students submit resumes through Handshake while applying for positions. These can be downloaded and shared with your interviewers prior to the scheduled date. Please request any updates in advance from students.
Career Exploration & Success’ interview facilities should be used by employers primarily for the purpose of interviewing students from Rutgers University. If space is available, we will schedule a room at the Interview Center for employment-related testing. There may be a fee if a room rental is necessary.
All employers administering pre-employment tests during a recruiting visit must complete a document specifying the test(s) to be administered and releasing Rutgers University's Office of Career Exploration and Success Services of any liability associated with pre-employment testing.
Please, direct questions regarding this policy to our employer services team at 848-445-7287, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Offer Acceptance/Extension Guidelines
Career Exploration & Success discourages the acceptance of multiple offers by our students. This includes accepting an offer from an organization and later reneging or declining the offer. Learn more about the student guidelines here.
We also stress the importance of employers abiding by offer extension guidelines highlighted by the National Association of Colleges & Employers (NACE). Read the full guidelines here.
Accounting recruiters should abide by the Account Recruiting Program Guidelines agreed upon by the major schools/universities in New Jersey. The full guidelines are available here.