What is RICC? Why should I apply?
A 3 or 6 general elective credit academic course offered during Spring, Summer, and Fall semesters that is taken concurrently with an internship experience. Not only is this a pass/no credit course, but the focus is to take the CES Career Journey model and help you explore your internship beyond the day-to-day tasks assigned. This course will help you gain confidence in your career journey, continue your growth within professional development, and has an ultimate goal of being a positive aspect in your post-graduation success!
Who offers RICC?
Career Exploration and Success + School of Arts and Sciences
How is RICC graded?
This course is pass/fail.
Is this the only internship course available at Rutgers?
RICC may not be your only option... Click here to see other available options at Rutgers.
Do you ‘give’ or ‘place’ students in internships?
No. You must secure your own opportunity. However, our office can absolutely help you search for and apply to opportunities!
How do I find an internship?
I want to take RICC! How do I sign up?
Apply by scrolling down and clicking on RICC Student Application. Submit a completed application (before the listed due date and time) and wait for a response from the RICC Team. They will respond with either a request for updates or more information, an approval email with a special permission number, or a denial with a reason. If you receive an approval email, you must register for the listed course with the assigned SPN in order to officially enroll in the course. You will not be enrolled in the course without registering through WebReg with an SPN!
When are the application deadlines?
Spring application deadlines are January 22 | Summer application deadlines are June 1 | Fall application deadlines are September 2 | Fall Co-Op application deadlines are June 25; start date July 6 | Applications are usually available at least 2 months before the deadline.
How many times can I take RICC?
You can take RICC up to two times. This includes taking any combination of Internship SAS and Co-Op Arts and Sciences. Ensure that you refer to your School to learn the maximum number of experiential learning credits you can take.
What is RICP?
RICP is an online pass/fail internship and co-op course for academic credit during the fall, spring, and summer sessions (winter session is not an option). The course consists of career-related assignments. Employers must complete midterm and final performance evaluations of the student. Course credits apply towards graduation as general elective credits.
The RICP co-op and internship courses are offered through the School of Arts and Sciences – SAS Internship 01:090:201/202/203. While the courses are open to eligible undergraduates students enrolled at the New Brunswick campus, check with your academic department to see if there is an internship course available for your major. Additionally, School of Engineering students should check with their department for internship/co-op course options (This course is elective credit – since you are in a credit intensive program you will not need additional elective credits to graduate).
There are two tracks for the program:
- Internship Track (3 credits):
- Part-time during the fall or spring; part-time or full-time during the summer
- Minimum total of 120 hours of work
- Minimum 10 weeks during fall or spring; (6 weeks during the summer)
- Paid or unpaid
- Students balance internships with a regular full-time course load unless it is summer
- Co-op Track (6 credits):
- Full-time for a 6-month period
- Minimum total of 300 hours of work
- Minimum 20 weeks (January-June; July-December)
- Co-Op students must work a full time schedule, which is a minimum of 30 hours per week.
- Students typically balance co-ops with an additional 6-credit course load, completed at night or online. Seniors participating in spring co-ops are technically August graduates but can walk in May graduation
Applications must be completed by 3:00 pm on the deadline date to be considered.
Internship Program (3 academic credits)
- Fall 2020 (September-December): September 4 – Application will open in late May
- Spring 2020 (January-May): January 24
- Summer 2020 (May-August): June 1
Due to COVID -19 and current restrictions in place including remote instruction for summer session, we encourage students to seek virtual/remote internships/co-ops. Applications for internships/co-ops that are not virtual/remote will be considered as long as they do not violate local regulations regarding COVID-19 and adhere to the workplace safety policies set forth by the NJ government or the state in which the internship/co-op is located.
Co-op Program (6 academic credits)
- Spring 2020 (January-June): January 24
- Fall 2020 (July-December): July 30 – Application will open in May